Welcome to Horizon Hobby, your one-stop-shop for finding the perfect radio control model for the 2020 Holiday Season! Our website has around 25,000 items to pick from… making it nearly impossible for someone like yourself to navigate and select the perfect gift for someone special. As a result, we have selected the Top 5 Gifts from our catalog of products. These five items are…
- Perfect for beginners and veterans alike
- Fun and exciting models!
- Include everything in the box (even batteries).
- Hobby-grade (repairable, upgradeable, customizable)
Radio Control (RC) cars, trucks, boats, planes, and helicopters provide safe family fun. They encapsulate various aspects of S.T.E.M (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) plus engage people of all ages in an interactive and rewarding discipline. The products featured below are in no specific order, so be sure to shop all five items to find the best gift this season!
One key consideration we want to point out for the products below; It’s a good practice to open and charge the model’s battery BEFORE you wrap/give the gift. This is a huge time saver and gives the recipient the ability to use their new gift immediately should they desire.
Now let’s get to the fun stuff: Shopping for new RC model!(Note that product availability and pricing mentioned below are subject to change as this article is specifically tailored to the 2020 Holiday shopping season).
$99.99 – The Ready-to-Fly HobbyZone® Mini AeroScout™ (HBZ5700)
- Kyle’s Mini AeroScout Holiday Pro-Tip: Looking to extend the fun? Purchase an additional battery or two (SPMX8001S30). They are only $10.99 each and greatly increase the enjoyment of this model!
- $109.99 – The Ready-to-Run Axial® 1/24 SCX24™ Deadbolt™ 4WD Rock Crawler (AXI90081)
Available in two different color schemes (olive green or red), the 1/24th scale Deadbolt is designed to mimic full-scale competition rock crawlers with its realistic narrow-stance body. The exterior features a realistic driver figure, a molded roll cage, and two functional LED lights in the front bumper in addition to the mock light bar on the roof. The SCX24 Deadbolt is guaranteed to stay locked on any surface you may encounter thanks to officially licensed KMC XD229 Machete Crawl wheels and Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires. Under the easy-access hinged body, you will find a full ball-bearing supported 4WD drivetrain, an 88-turn electric motor, coil-over shocks, steel axles, steel C-channel chassis frame rails, worm gear driven differentials, and a 3-link front/4-link rear suspension. All of these features make the Axial SCX24 Deadbolt the ultimate mini-scale crawler platform!
Adding even more to its beginner appeal, the SCX24 Deadbolt comes 100% complete and ready to run (assembled and finished vehicle). Everything required for action is in the box including a 3-channel 2.4GHz radio system, a 350mAh 2S 7.4V LiPo battery, a USB LiPo battery charger, and four AA cells for the transmitter. Finally, the entire Axial brand is supported by a massive backing of brand-loyal customers. This means that replacement parts (should you require any) can be found worldwide both online and in-store. In addition to this, there are countless upgrade/option parts that are available for the SCX24 platform produced directly by Axial or manufactured by dozens of aftermarket companies! This gift is perfect for the young of age (or the young of heart) and is an excellent gateway into the world or RC as it’s slow “torquey” speed is easy to control… and hard to crash!
- $59.99 – The Ready-to-Fly Blade® 70 S (BLH4200)
Designed for beginners, the 70 S features a lightweight durable design that is equipped with SAFE Technology. This software provides renowned self-leveling and bank angle limits that make this heli extremely easy to fly, perfect for those getting a feel for flying a helicopter and learning orientation maneuvers. The electronics are contained by an extremely durable composite plastic frame and the blades themselves will “fold” in the event of an impact, making bumps and crashes stress-free. The intimidation-free fixed pitch rotor blades and flybarless head design features a low parts count, making maintenance simpler. Plus, a direct-drive tail motor and carbon fiber tail boom keep the heli firmly locked-in. The canopy is a vivid black/yellow design that is easy to see and allows the LED battery indicator light to easily shine through, providing real-time battery telemetry!
Right out of the box, pilots are presented with an assembled ready-to-fly model. Included with the helicopter you will find an interference-free 2.4GHz transmitter (and transmitter batteries), a USB battery charger, and a 1S 150mAh LiPo battery. Bring RC heli fun indoors with the tough and easy-to-fly 70 S, the perfect gift for anyone cooped-up indoors with a desire to take flight!
- Kyle’s 70 S Holiday Pro-Tip: The 70 S is quite addictive and having an additional battery (or two) keeps the fun going longer! I recommend purchasing at least one additional battery (BLH4210) as they are only $9.99 each.
- $99.99 – The Ready-to-Run ARRMA® 1/10 GRANITE™ VOLTAGE™ 2WD Mega Monster Truck (ARA102727)
For simplicity and strength, its motor mount, gearbox, battery compartment, and shock towers are all integrated into the molding of a split-line, monocoque-style composite chassis. The included MEGA SRS 3-in-1 unit integrates the GRANITE™ VOLTAGE™ ESC, receiver, and servo control electronics into a compact, durable nylon case, securely mounted onto the chassis. The truck also features a waterproof design, a full ball bearing driveline, a MEGA 20T 540 brushed motor, oil-filled shocks, metal dog-bone driveshafts, all-metal differential gears, a double-wishbone suspension, and durable multi-terrain dBoots® COPPERHEAD™ tires.
Available in three different liveries, the ARRMA GRANITE VOLTAGE MEGA is ready for anything straight out of the box as it arrives assembled with everything needed for day-one fun! It includes a 2.4GHz radio (with AA batteries), a 6-cell 7.2v NiMH battery, plus a wall charger. Bash anywhere with the GRANITE VOLTAGE MEGA Monster Truck, the perfect gift for anyone who has a yard, street, park, or alley nearby (…so literally anyone)!
- Kyle’s GRANITE VOLTAGE Holiday Pro-Tip: Unlock the full potential of the GRANITE VOLTAGE with an upgrade to a lithium battery pack AND quick-charger! Switching to a LiPo battery increases both vehicle power AND the runtime by changing the battery chemistry (which increases the cell voltage and mAh). Plus, when you upgrade to a “quick charger” you substantially decrease the time needed to recharge the battery. I recommend the Spektrum Smart Powerstage Bundle (SPMXPS2). Note that this Spektrum charger will also charge the NiMh battery that is included with the truck and at a much faster rate!
- $69.99 – The Ready-to-Run Pro Boat Sprintjet 9" Self-Righting Jet Boat (PRB08045)
The boat itself is waterproof (as if we needed to state the obvious) and features a self-righting hull. This means that you'll never have to worry about being stranded upside down! The boat arrives assembled with a 600Mah LiPo battery that will provide between 9-12 minutes of runtime. Also included is a Spektrum S120 USB-C Smart Charger, which makes recharging the batteries easy, simple, and safe. Plus, the included 2.4GHz radio system offers an interference-free proven connection.
This jet boat has all the performance you're looking for in an attractive package, available in either a blue or silver paint scheme with an aggressive “shark mouth” nose design. The Sprintjet is the perfect gift for pool owners, lake dwellers, or anyone with a passion for watercraft!
- Kyle’s Sprintjet Holiday Pro-Tip: Although nowadays there are hardly any “wear” components on RC Boats, preventative maintenance is still key ensuring reliability and the prolonged lifespan of your model. The Springjet requires the periodic lubrication of the flex shaft (sometimes called a prop-shaft or driveshaft). This is a simple five to ten-minute task that can be accomplished by a beginner, but it does require the application of “Marine” specific grease. I recommend picking up a tube of the Dynamite Marine Grease and a grease gun (DYNE4200). A single tube will last you years (as you only need to lube the shaft on occasion), and you can use this grease around the house for other applications that may require it!
Why Buy from Horizon Hobby?
Based in Champaign, Illinois, Horizon Hobby has been in business for over 35 years. We specialize in hobby-grade radio control models, meaning that our products are repairable, adjustable, upgradeable, and customizable! These same products are developed in-house by experts in the field and backed by a warranty. If you run into any problems with your model, simply reach out to our U.S. based product support team! This group is trained and experienced in troubleshooting your issue via chat/phone/email and will be able to offer any parts, suggestions, or tools needed to service/maintain your model. Note that if you are buying a gift for someone who isn’t experienced or comfortable fixing their new model, we also offer repair services, direct through Horizon Hobby.
Finally, we have a network of local Horizon Hobby retailers based around the country. These privately-owned “retailers” typically stock everything you will need to support your new hobby. They carry genuine Horizon Hobby replacement parts and hop-up parts that will fit your model, all of which will still be backed by the Horizon Hobby warranty. Find your local retailer using this tool: Find a Retailer