- Alternate PTC roof included in box
126 EMD SD70M-2s were delivered to NS in 2005 and 2006. Consistent with NS practice at the time, the units were rated at 4000 horsepower instead of the typical 4300. The units were equipped with ditch lights on each end and used in heavy mainline service.
- Fully-assembled and ready-to-run
- DCC-ready features Quick Plug™ plug-and-play technology with 21-pin NEM connector
- Scaled from prototype resources including drawings, field measurements, photographs, and more
- Accurately-painted and –printed paint schemes
- Coupler cut levers
- Flexible rubber MU hoses
- Flexible rubber trainline hose
- See-through cab windows
- Full cab interior
- Walkway tread
- Etched see-through steps
- Fine-scale Celcon handrails for scale appearance
- Windshield wipers
- Lift rings
- Wire grab irons
- Detailed fuel tank with fuel fillers, fuel gauges, & breather pipes
- Sander lines
- McHenry scale knuckle couplers - Kadee compatible
- Genesis driveline with 5-pole skew wound motor, precision machined flywheels, and multi-link drivetrain
- All-wheel drive with precision gears for smooth & quiet operation
- All-wheel electrical pickup provides reliable current flow
- Wheels with RP25 contours operate on all popular brands of track
- LED lighting for realistic appearance-including lit number boards, ground lights, and marker lights (if applicable)
- Heavy die-cast frame for greater traction and more pulling power
- Packaging securely holds model for safe storage
PROTOTYPE SPECIFIC INFORMATION
In order to meet stricter diesel locomotive emissions standards imposed by EPA Tier II regulations, EMD modified the SD70MAC to create the SD70ACe and SD70M-2. Each model is powered by a 16-cylinder, 4300-horsepower diesel engine. On the SD70M-2, the prime mover drives an alternator and produces AC current that is rectified to DC current, which powers the traction motors. On the SD70ACe, the DC current is then “chopped” back into AC to power the traction motors.
Much of the external design is based on the SD90 series locomotives, specifically the SD90MAC-H PHII. Similar features include the nose shape, full height nose door and rectangular windshields, the large flared radiators with two fans, and the positioning of the dynamic brake equipment at the rear of the long hood. In addition, the inverters were moved from inside the long hood to a box on the walkway behind the fireman’s side of the cab.
The Athearn Genesis 2.0 SD70ACE and SD70M-2 feature upgraded tooling with new walkway variants and etched see-through steps. Additional lighting features over previous versions include operating number boards and ground lights, as well as working marker lights on applicable CN versions. All lighting is provided by LEDs.
|Prototype Manufacturer||Electro Motive Division|