The Chicago & Northwestern RR Dash 9-44CW locomotives were the first production order of Dash 9s from GE with delivery beginning in late 1993. C&NW initially came without A/C units and a roof vent but were later modified to have A/C. Our models depict the As-Delivered configuration for the C&NW modelers who depict this great railroad right up to the C&NW/UP merger.
- Prototypically accurate appearance
- CNW roof vent
- A/C cabinet w/out A/C vents and components per as-delivered detail
- Curved engine compartment hood profile
- Early ‘tabbed’ dynamic brake intake panels
- Early style dynamic brake exhaust fascia
- 8613 & 8646 Early-delivery units with 40” wheels and reinforced trucks
- 8701 Late-delivery unit with 42” wheels and GE Hi-Adhesion sideframes
- As-delivered features
- Unmodified hood
- Sound version features onboard DCC decoder with SoundTraxx Tsunami2 sound
PROTOTYPE SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Built by GE from 1993 until 2004, the Dash 9-44CW and its variants were the definitive North American mainline freight locomotives of their time, with an impressive 3668 total units built. Constructed for US railroads from coast to coast, the units were also ordered by Canadian roads, and significant export orders went to Australia and Brazil.
The new Athearn Genesis 2.0 Dash 9-44CW is equally as impressive as its prototype, with a host of railroad specific details. From the Canadianspecific Dash 9-44CWL version with its 4-window cab to the CNW units with their unique roof vents, these models take the Genesis 2.0 line to new heights. Standard on all models are Athearn’s superior paint colors researched from the prototypes to be As Close to Real as it Gets.